Context: The Nasha Mukt Bharat Abhiyaan recently signed an MoU with Gayatri Parivar, in collaboration with the Department of Social Justice & Empowerment.
Nasha Mukt Bharat Abhiyaan
- Ministry: Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment
- Launch Year: 2020
- Implementing Body: Department of Social Justice & Empowerment
- Objectives: Creating awareness about substance abuse through activities such as awareness generation programs, targeting schools and universities, identifying dependent populations in communities, etc.
Status of Drug Trafficking in India
- According to the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB)’s: Drug trafficking through sea routes in the Arabian Sea and the Bay of Bengal accounts for around 70% of the total illegal drugs smuggled into India.
- India is located between the two largest Opium producing regions of the world;
o Golden triangle on the eastern side: Thailand, Myanmar, Vietnam and Laos.
o Golden crescent on the North-Western side: Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iran.