SHAHPUR KANDI BARRAGE (Syllabus: GS Paper 1 – Geography)

News-CRUX-10     27th February 2024        
output themes

Context: The completion of the Shahpur Kandi barrage has effectively ceased the flow of water from the Ravi river into Pakistan, according to a report.

Shahpur Kandi Barrage

  • Foundation: The Shahpur Kandi Barrage Project was initiated with the laying of its foundation stone by former Prime Minister PV Narasimha Rao in 1995.
  • Location: Situated on the Ravi River, the Shahpur Kandi barrage straddles the border of Punjab and Jammu and Kashmir.
  • Purpose: By redirecting water previously flowing towards Pakistan, the Shahpur Kandi barrage enables India to utilize it for the benefit of Jammu and Kashmir and Punjab, effectively optimizing water resources.
  • Utilization of Water: The newly-built barrage enhances India's capacity to fully exploit the water resources allocated to it, ensuring efficient utilization within the region.

Indus Water Treaty (IWT)

  • Signed in: 1960.
  • Purpose: A water-distribution treaty between India and Pakistan, arranged and negotiated by the World Bank.
  • Signatories: Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru, President of Pakistan, Ayub Khan, former Vice President of the World Bank
  • Major Provisions of the treaty

oThe three western rivers to Pakistan: Indus, Chenab and Jhelum to Pakistan for unrestricted use, barring certain non-consumptive, agricultural and domestic uses by India.

oThe three Eastern rivers: Ravi, Beas and Sutlej were allocated to India for unrestricted usage. 

oThis means that 80% of the share of water went to Pakistan, while leaving the rest 20% of water for use by India.