COTTON CULTIVATION (Syllabus: GS Paper 3 – Agriculture)

News-CRUX-10     2nd January 2024        
Samadhaan

Context: The Union government plans to promote the shift of cotton cultivation from disease-infested fields to disease-free cultivable and irrigated areas within Haryana, Rajasthan, Punjab, Maharashtra and Telangana.

Cotton Cultivation

  • Position: India got 1st place in the world in cotton acreage with 120.69 Lakh Hectares area under cotton Cultivation.
  • Cotton Cultivation in India: Approximately 67% of the country's cotton is grown in rain-fed areas, while the remaining 33% is cultivated in irrigated areas.
  • Lead: Gujarat is currently the leading producer of cotton in India followed by Maharashtra.
  • Climate: It is tropical crop grows well in hot and humid climate with temp of 21-27? and annual rainfall between 75-100cm.
  • Concern: Heavy use of pesticides, pest infestation, rising cost of seeds, farmer indebtedness-suicides.
  • White-Gold of India: Due to its paramount economic role in India, cotton is often referred to as "White-Gold," emphasizing its economic significance and impact on the nation.
  • According to Ministry Data: In recent years, there has been a sharp decline in ‘white gold’ production.
Samadhaan